Portugal's Wool Route
A Little Country with a Ancient Heart and Soul
May 1 - 17, 2023
Check out the newly posted itinerary!
- Actively exploring the Ancient Wool Route in Portugal
- Incredible accommodations from a palace to a 12th century monastery; remote mountain lodge to a working vineyard
- Visits to Lisbon, Porto, Sintra, the Douro Valley and many off the beaten track woolly villages
- Immersion into the Portuguese arts of textiles, lace, pottery, embroidery, fillagree jewelry, basketry and more...
- Tasting of the world-renowned wines of Portugal
- Lusitano Horses
- Megalithic sites
- Visiting a mountain sheep farm
- And so much more!
Behold the enchantment of Portugal with its startling natural beauty and its ancient Wool Route! Many cultures have left their mark upon this delightful country including the Romans, Celts, Visigoths, Moors and more. The stunning natural beauty of Portugal is remarkably diverse. From granite peaks to idyllic sandy islands dotting serene blue seas; misty woodlands and craggy clifftop castles to storybook medieval towns, we'll explore it all retracing the epic Wool Route along the way.
A legendary haunt of wolves, witches, and shepherds,
20,000-year-old stone carvings, medieval castles,
cobblestone villages, kaleidoscopic hand painted tiles
and historic textiles.
Documented since the 13th century, these pathways were the route that shepherds and their flocks followed to the villages where wool fabrics were manufactured. Full of woolly traditions, knowledge and the culture of its inhabitants, the Wool Route has united Spanish and Portuguese shepherds, weavers, and traders for centuries. Knitting is also an important part of Portugal's wool craft and we will delve into it throughout the trip.
Portugal may be a small country, but it packs a mighty punch. That doesn’t even mention the incredible food and wine! We dare you to not fall under its magic spell. (Pssst... there will be an optional extension to the idyllic Azores, too.)
Dates: May 1- 17, 2023
SOLD OUT - We'd be happy to add you to the waitlist